Meet Mortigen, an Unholy spec Death Knight and one of his many minions.
– Too much fun, flavour is perfect. Story is cool in a “whoa thats warped” way.
– The level boost from 60-70 has made the grind less of a grind.
– DPS is great, and you can survive a screw-up or bad pull. Having a pet really helps survive, and having AoE ability helps with farming when an area is overpopulated. I lay down the AoE when I think it will spawn, and often I get the mob tagged as it enters.
– Starting gear really gives you a jump start into leveling. Rakarth is right in that this may well change and we may notice a real problem with gear at later levels (a comment by phone). I’m not sure that matters as 71 greens will replace the 69 greens by a large degree. The first few levels in Northrend will be tough, but could not be impossible.
– …I got nothing bad to say.
And when I say they have good dps, this is an example of what a Ramparts zerg can produce. With a L70 Paladin and Healer, and x3 Death Knights – the dps was flowing like water. I really enjoyed both the Blood Furnace and Ramparts runs yesterday. At one point I pulled aggro from the Prot Paladin, and was almost killed, but thankfully the healer really knew his job and saved my silly red arse.
I see no reason not to try each spec, and gather gear for each spec. With each apparently being a viable tank role, the “oh shit” moments are not as terrible as with a more squishy toon.
From what I’ve seen Blood is the great dps, and Frost seems to have most of the best Tank talents. Which makes me wonder why I took Unholy? Answer is I like Warlock pets and AoE spells, which the Unholy gets in spades. And I love AoE tanking on the Paladin.
The best of both worlds? I think so.
Lastly the mod pictured in my screenshot above is called RuneWatch. Its an Ace2 mod that shows the diseases, runes and such that your DK has. The options are great (fade, hide blizz rune frame, rune ordering, sizing, plus many more), and while its the first I’ve used, I think its pretty darn good. In combination with Eclipse for timers this is a pretty powerful too.
Anyone know of a killer DK mod, because while I can not see anything wrong with RuneWatch, I’d like to have the best mods available. Something that makes the DK powers show/hide like the Curses for Warlocks in Necrosis would be handy. Likewise those abilities that you don’t use often like Deathgate, etc. No need for a spot on the action bar if they are folded out as part of a mod menu.