Out of the blue recently I was offered the opportunity to test a few portable sound devices, so like any true blood geek I jumped at the opportunity.
The first one is the Edifier MP 250 (a.k.a the Soundbar). It is a very simple and portable single unit speaker which improves the sound output of moble devices. It will work with anything that can plug to sdb (like a laptop), and also anything with a stereo plug (like amost every other audio device on the planet).
Here is a quick review.
The good stuff is:
- It is darn small, and reasonably light.
- No setup required (plug in, pause for recognition, then it worked straight away – fark!).
- Comes with a nice handy carry sleeve, so that it won’t get wrecked by your other gear.
- Far better sound quality than standard laptop speakers.
- It looks nice – all silver and smooth, not a fugly blob of black plastic.
The bad (only the obvious and the trivial):
- As it needs power from the USB, you’ll go through battery life in no time. Use it when plugged in to power and there is no issue.
- No tech solution can deliver high end sound, especially high end bass sound in a manner to replace a good multi-speaker setup. Do not have the illusion that the SoundBar will be a home stereo. Better, but not a holy grail.
- Carry case should be slightly bigger, so it can also hold the cables. You can squish them in, but it takes a few minutes.
Overall: It would make an excellent gift for a techie who works regularly with a laptop or ipod/iphone on the road, and for aus$60 its reaonsable.
I didn’t want a Soundbar until I tested it, and now I am very glad to have it. It is already in my laptop bag.