I bought Civ6 a day ago and started playing. Wow, the game has changed since my old days of Civ and Civ2. The endeavours and strategies look like they will be the same but so much of the game interface has changed – for the better. Here are my impressions.
- I sat clicking like an idiot for a long while wondering why my setteler wouldn’t make a city when I pressed the B button. Even moving him around didn’t work, till I saw the build button.
- It took me ages to work out that Traders made roads. Good change, but tempting to use Romans as empire choice to get them automatically (so I read).
- I still don’t know how to use Envoys or all of the political levers. Do spies exist anymore?
- It starts so simple and ramps out of my comfort zone quickly.
- I’m yet to change the assigned population tiles for the city.
- I’m yet to suss how to use districts properly.
- I still want to crush everyone on the map with hordes of units, so maybe I should be playing the barbarians.
- I love and hate the new barbarians. Bastards are a pain but good for unit xp.
- Being a single player turn based game suits the home life I have, as I can walk away anytime. I almost grabbed my copy of MOO3 out of the box but decided a new game would be more fun.
- Getting the steam sale discount was ok, but I fear the ongoing temptation of DLC.
I’m having so much fun discovering how to play a Civ game again. Just need to now get 60 hours in a day.