Single player games tend to give players the choice of a difficulty setting, which they can do because the impact of that choice isn’t shared amongst anyone else. D3 on easy is darn easy, and I think there is nothing wrong with playing a game for silly easy fun. We don’t always need to be raiding Hard modes, just like you can’t eat pizza every night. In an MMO all the players tend to be in the same “game” so the game’s difficulty tends to be controlled in strictly controlled ways. Instances, special quests, achievements, collections, and special creatures are around for the folks who like a challenge, but generally speaking most players are playing the same game.
If you can kill 3x monsters in the starter zone at the same time without dying then you are at a certain level of game skill. If you need help, or get *repeatedly unlucky* then you become very accustom to running back to your corpse.
What if the game had a difficulty slider, which changed some options?
- Rewards could be recognised (achievements) at different levels. We have this in raid modes, why not elsewhere?
- Instances wouldn’t need to change, but perhaps a player using the lower setting is forgiven more in terms of damage taken, dps, healing, so that the other players don’t suffer because somebody is playing on easy.
- A lazy player might always play on Easy mode, because they value easy fun over challenges. Perhaps they get slightly less rewards? Less cash to a casual probably isn’t an issue.
- A dedicated player might be rewarded with more gold or increased special drop rates because of doing it the hard way.
- The UI slider could apply for different reasons, so that even XP reward, death penalties, gold loss, and such are all configurable by the player. Perhaps even cofigurable per character and changeable in UI at anytime.
- It would make Ironman style challenges supported as part of the game backbone.
- It would add more bragging rights, which isn’t always a good thing, but depends on how it is used (gearscore & achievement linking?).
- It might help farmers of special stuff.
- Let learners learn. Let kids be kids.
Overall I’m not sure, but perhaps there is room for this.
* Repeatedly unlucky – ahem, meaning a fire stander? I used to rant in a furious way when folks said they were unlucky.
Just amid you are less skilled and get on with playing for fun. I did. The freedom of a noob is worth something.