“What class do I play?” It is one of those questions you see on forums a lot. Through-out every game the class choice is important, and in mmo games it determines a lot of what you will do in game. Now that I’m contemplating a return to WoW and have access to a free level 90 character I’m asking myself the same question.
I fear asking in forums without pondering some basic questions, and here goes…
So, what do I like doing in WoW?
- Leveling. Sometimes getting distracted by exploring. And I often read quest text and like to understand why what my character is doing is furthering an aspect of the story. I don’t roleplay in game.
- Collecting Legendary items. Also sometimes collecting rare drops & mounts in a few old 5 mans. I don’t care if leveling takes ages, as I won’t be rushing to raid this time.
- Often DPS in scenarios, 5 mans, and raids, but I won’t be raiding regularly at all in a “proper” team. Having a viable Dps spec & gear that I know how to play is important.
- After all the Dps styles I’ve played over the years I think range dps have an overall advantage in fight mechanics, so I’m pondering a range dps capacity more than melee dps. Melee is great fun though, especially two weapon Frost for DKs.
- Often Tanking in scenarios and 5-mans, more so because I’d prefer to not wait ages for the queue timer.
- Sometimes Tanking in raids, less so in LFR because the experience is mostly horrible for Tanks.
- I’ll be doing LFR and Dungeons, and whatever else is needed to gear up and to get the legendary item(s). Please Blizzard do not have a pvp quest in the middle of the quest line, as I think that sucked for everyone involved in those battlegrounds.
- Never healing.
- Almost never doing PvP.
- I’m going to be a casual, and probably time poor. I doubt I’ll have a main and many alts, more likely it will be just one character for a very long time.
- If a profession gives me a gear boost then I’ll complete it. If it only gives vanity items or quality of life junk, then I’ll do it very slowly.
What classes have I played? What are my options?
- With a free level 90 anything is possible. I’ve a 90 DK, Warlock, Warrior, and Druid.
- Death Knights still have some of the best lore and flavor in the game. Along with my Paladin and Warlock they are my three most played classes.
- Then a Balance Druid and Priest as /played, then down to a Warrior.
- Elemental Shaman are awesome, but I’ve never raided or end-gamed with one.
- I have an 85 Hunter, but I only use him to mailbox dance. Great class to level, not sure how I like them at end game.
- Never played a Rogue or Mage past level 50. I like how the Frost mages get a pet, as that makes leveling easier, but I’m yet to understand Mages enough to understand how they might vary from Warlocks at end game. Mages sure do get some nifty powers.
- Never played a Monk past 20. I probably should.
What abilities and other odd things appeal?
- Death Knight’s survivability in Blood spec, same for Prot Paladins, Bear Druids, and Prot Warriors. I like to survive and like to pull a few mobs at a time.
- I love the aesthetic of a Priest’s Shadow form, but do not want to ever heal. I think this means not playing a Priest regularly.
- Balance Druid’s Moonkin form appeals to me, but I really hate Cat form. It is the same reason I find combo-points on Rogues to be hellish and frustrating.
- Warrior’s charge and leap are great.
- Warlock’s funky flavor all round is appealing.
- Sometimes I miss classes with an overtly simple rotation, because less thinking is sometimes enjoyable. Back in tBC the Warlock used Shadowbolt almost all the time and I was ok with that.
- If one of my previously played classes was going to have a special focus in this expansion that might help decide that. I’ve not seen another Rogue dagger quest – kinda thing suggested yet.
What Role and Class combo do you like best?
- Tank: DK and Warrior.
- Melee Dps: DK
- Range Dps: I can’t pick between Elemental Shaman, Balance Druid, Warlock, Shadow Priest. Each is way cool.
- Healing: Nope (I think I used a wool bandage in Gruul’s Lair on the poor Warrior tank at the time, but didn’t like it).
So the winner is?
Well I’m open to suggestions, but I think a Druid might be the way to go. Bear + Boomkin gives me range Dps and Tanking, plus the option to stealth when I need it. It is a pitty my Druid’s professions are skinning and leatherworking, because as professions they’ve always been a little meh to me. I’ll have to start reading the EJ forums to see how Balance rotation is stacking up in terms of complexity and rotation…
Arrrg, still not sure.
Aside – I found it again recently and while it was a little mean, I don’t regret it. I really hope the beggars are not around as much anymore.