You PvE folks don’t need more gear drops, just update the gear you have with Valor and Justice! Yay. Grinding instances and daily quests is not mandatory.
Mr Robot has an excellent summary with examples of how and how gear will soon be able to be upgrades with grind-able points. In Patch 5.1 for WoW you’ll get a +8 item level boost on any gear, costing 1500 points. That is pretty neat for a raider who is missing a key upgrade due to poor luck. It offers an alternative which was not available.
I have a niggling feeling though that it will make capping Valor/Justice each week so much more important. It was already very desirable, but now it feels even closer to a mandatory requirement.
Q. Where do you get the points?
A. Same places – boss kills, instances, and doing daily quests. Grinding instances and daily quests is not mandatory.
Q. Do we get more, or are the scales adjusted?
A. Nope, all is good in the ratios so I’m told. 25 points per boss kill is apparently what is needed.
Raiding and LFR offer between 40-50% max of the Valor, assuming that you are doing full clears. Not many guilds are doing full clears – so many raiders are not even close to max before they start doing Instances and daily quests.
Grinding instances and daily quests is not mandatory.
Q. Should I do progression, with wipes, long effort, etc or do Valor farming?
A. Both. You need to play more, or play more efficiently, or whatever – this is all about being given expanded options. Grinding instances and daily quests is not mandatory.
Q. How could the reward improve or valor system improve?
A. How about:
- Increase the reward from the instances from 80 VP first and 40 every run afterward to 100 and 60 each extra run. Make it so more people run instances to get their Valor – it can’t hurt. It still makes it a hard slog to cap. Increasing the JP reward is a good idea too.
- Reward both Valor and Justice from Scenarios, unless they are intended to be done once and then forgotten.
- Reward more from boss kills in PvE, from 25 to 40-45. This means that it is still very unlikely that a character will cap valor just from PvE clearing.
- Reward daily quest reward from 5 VP to 10 or 15 VP. This is for fools like me who are earning valor through daily quests a lot and are really bored with it.
- The bonus for valor capping a character changes so that instead of one character getting to 1000 valor and the buff kicking in, the 1000 can be gained on any set of characters, then all get more. This means more people are using alts – which would be their choice.
Remember: Grinding instances and daily quests is not mandatory. Are you happy citizen?
- World of Warcraft Patch 5.1 – Valor Upgrades | Ask Mr. Robot’s Blog.
- Wow Forum post discussing the grind of Valor being too long