Here are a few thoughts from the first hours of playing Wow in post-patch-5 times.
- I’ve logged in and respec’ed my Death Knight. It was easy. Simple in fact. I feel it might actually be too simple, but do not wish to be negative about an idea which I think has huge merit. Having talents which were default selection is no choice. I’m not decided if the current style has too little impact on gameplay.This is almost the D3 model for spec trees, and I hope that we are not seeing a merge into a single game philosophy (yes, that is drawing a long bow).
- Some of the choices for DKs are still clearly for certain activities (pvp or tank, or…) and therefore we have defaults again. One or two talents are things that I’ll never take. Time will tell us if that is because the talents are shitty, or if I’m a grumpy belligerent old bastard.
- If you liked the multi-tree specs from wow version of yore there are still a huge amount of games using that model.
- I’ve seen that minor glyphs have basically almost no mechanical effect, or are totally cosmetic. Major ones do less than the Primes used to, but one or two are bloody fantastic. Overall the glyphs need work – I’m a bit underwhelmed by glyphs and talents because somebody could still perform their role fine in a 5 man without picking any talents or glyphs. That seems wrong.
- I’ve seen the new collector’s edition mount and pet, and watched people fanark around on their many mounts. Its a good change.
- I’ve watched people login an alt and get the ding! of shared achievements. I don’t care at all for achievements, but like that almost everyone else likes them and therefore its a nice change.
- I’ve not yet seen group looting, but am excited by that due to a propensity to farm old instances.
- After running three instances I can say that Unholy Death Knights are essentially the same as before. Thank god. I’ll get around to testing Blood and Frost at some stage, but they look the same on paper too. Given Blood DKs already had a form of active mitigation it is the other Tank classes that have to learn what that means more than DKs.
- Overall the complexity in the game is reduced, and it was the complexity in places where it was not feeding 90% of the player base.
- I don’t care to train, test, or watch a pet battle. This patch just shares all my pets, and its unsurprising that I have hardly any at all. If I could unbind them and sell them I would.
- The Queue: WoW Patch 5.0.4 Q&A (wow.joystiq.com)
- Today’s Conspiracy Theory – The WoW 5.0.4 Patch (tagn.wordpress.com)
- WoW p5 Anxiety (typhoonandrew.wordpress.com)
- WoW Releases Major Changes in Pre-Expansion Patch (escapistmagazine.com)