WoW Insider has a reasonable article on the adjustment to v5 of the game in terms of specs, races, and the other game changes.
So don’t let yourself get overly concerned. Just log in Tuesday, and take a few minutes to explore the changes. You’ll start getting back into things very quickly once you start taking it out for a spin. At its heart, it’s still the same game you’ve been playing.
They’re right. It’s the same world with a different feel for some classes. I spent some time skimming through the Icy Veins class summary to see what classes are affected, and generally – its a set of changes not worth panicking about. In fact many classes are getting adjusted to be cooler (especially Warlocks).
Raiding and Pvp specs might be borked initially, and I’d expect a patch or two along the way as we get into September. With all the points and rewards from instances and pvp being reset, I expect the 4 weeks between this update to be a time of fucking about and not stressing. Certainly enough players will be away with the outside world or Guildwars 2, so get those last achievements and mounts in now. I had to laugh considering that players will either be struggling with logging into GW2 to getting patched and working in WoW. What a great time for an action movie special on TV, so we can just ignore these game updates for a few days, and come back when the dust has settled.
The community has been through this many times before, and the world has not (permanently) ended. I’m actually looking forward to some of the run-up events which I hope will arrive with the patch as well. There might not be a huge reveal, but at the very least I expect some in-game indication that DeathWing is no longer the big bad, and that we might have found this strange island full of hostile teady-bears.
- Will Stormwind finally finish patching the smoldering battlements? Hopefully.
- Will the zones still burn with Deathwing’s fire? Doubt it.
- Will the market for animal brushes skyrocket as the Pandas try to keep blood stains out of their hard to reach places? Probably.
Pets are also going to be highly desirable to some players soon, so start pondering how to get them too. There is a market there if you feel like doing the hard work for somebody else.
- Patch 5.0.4, anxiety, and the ease of adjustment (wow.joystiq.com)
- Blizzard lists external resources for WoW players (wow.joystiq.com)
- World of Warcraft schedules big patch for Guild Wars 2’s launch day (massively.joystiq.com)
- The World Is About to Change! (intothefireguild.wordpress.com)
- WoW n00b looking for advice (tobolds.blogspot.com)