Two very interesting new options in the Star Wars The Old Republic game which were previously hinted at are to be live:
Both “features” are items which a few MMOs have in play, and in all likelihood these measure help add new players to the player base. It is a pretty exciting change for SW ToR and one that may increase the server pops a little. I think the recruitment drive could have happened a lot earlier, but conversely the free to play change (to level15) is something that owners may not wanted from day one, as it removes the initial splash of revenue from box purchases.
I’m interested in what effect this has, and how the current player base feel about the move?
The key free trial blurb:
Free Trial participants will experience the opening adventures of each of the eight character classes in the game. Players will explore their classes’ Origin World, and may even have the opportunity to visit their faction’s Capital World! Additionally, Free Trial players will have the chance to face off against other players in Player-vs.-Player Warzones, or join up with friends and play through a Flashpoint.
Players who have previously participated in one of the Weekend Pass Free Trials or the Friends of Star Wars: The Old Republic Trial are also eligible to join this new free trial!
For the Recruit a Friend rewards:
Active players that have passed one billing cycle can invite up to twenty five (25) of their friends to take part in a Friends of Star Wars: The Old Republic trial. During this free trial period, invited friends can play levels 1-15 with no time limit, explore each of the four Origin Worlds, and experience the opening adventures for each class as they start along their epic journey.
You can earn the exclusive Kurtob Alliance Speederby meeting the following requirements:
- Referred one or more of your friends through the Friends Trial Referral Form.
- At least one of your friends purchased the game and paid for a recurring monthly subscription or redeemed a Game Time Code.
- You must be opted-in to receive emails from The Old Republic.
- You and your friend’s account must not be banned.
All players who have already referred a friend through the Friends Trial and meet the requirements listed above will be retroactively granted a Kurtob Alliance Speeder via in-game mail.
- Level: 25
- Quality: Artifact
- Requires Speeder Piloting: Rank 1
- Speed: 110%
- Excellent protection against being knocked off
All in all interesting.
Some future questions:
- Does this boost subscribers? Yup, it must even if only a little.
- Enough to offset the cost of creating the function, and maintaining the user pool? Ask BioWare in 6 months.
- Does it add revenue? No idea how beyond the RaF players, except if a few player stay after level 15.
- Will this add scrubs to the player pool? Yes, at the very least I’ll play again for a bit. Free is free.
- Will the F2P to Level 15 turn into full F2P as time passes? Eventually I think it will.
- Old Republic to Refer Friends and/or Play Free to 15 (typhoonandrew.wordpress.com)
- Star Wars: The Old Republic Free Trial Now Available (news.softpedia.com)
- Star Wars: The Old Republic now free to play up to level 15 (pcgamer.com)
- SWTOR announces new free trial and referral reward (massively.joystiq.com)
- SWTOR Drops Friend-invite Requirement for Free-to-Play Trial (techzwn.com)
- SWTOR Goes F2P… Sort of (techzwn.com)