I’ve worked out what to do to get the PTR running. Obvious to some, or a no-brainer if you’re lucky, but it took two goes for me. My first attempt appeared ok, but would crash every time when entering the world.
- Firstly do not have more than one copy of the game installed. I used to run two side by side sessions of wow for multiboxing, and the PTR install auto-detects your wow location. For me that location was TBC but not Wrath enabled, so it piked when I tried to login.
- Save the auto-downloader and the directory it creates in the same parent folder as your WoW folder.
- When you run the PTR installed, run it from the Parent folder.
- The updater will download a 750mb-ish patch, and then config it. Seemed to be a good sign that it found and would run the updater.
- Don’t expect much help from the official forums. The advice from there is basically (a) run as Administrator, or if on Mac expect silence. You might need system / root access to install the PTR app, but that should not be any surprise.
- I got pedantic about the process and clicked all the Finish buttons on each of the downoaders and updaters.
- Don’t expect the loading page to have the PTR button enabled. Mine was not available, but I could run the PTR app from inside the folder. Look for a green icon.
Next step is some basic mods, and UI setup. Then some DK testing.