I’m reading a lot about how WoW is becoming too easy, and the Hardcore folks are not happy. It is apparently now catering to casuals, school moms (not that they can’t be hardcore, but that is another url), and face-rollers. The dual spec in 3.1 is just the most recent item to illicit this response.
OK then Hardcore players… you tell me – What would be the broad design guidelines for the most Hardcore MMO?
Lets write a list that will scare the drooling face-rollers back under the house, and make the hardcore players salivate with delight.
The Serious list:
- Max 1 character at a time.
- Harsh death penalties. Gear loss/damage, xp loss, and a shameful aura.
- Between character theft.
- Always PvP, winner take all.
- No consideration of class and role balance. It is far easier to kill than heal after all.
The Silly list:
- Perm-a-Death for characters.
- Each toon has 1 role. You heal, tank, dps, or control. Never more than 1. Ever.
- Perhaps healing should not be allowed at all, unless its over a huge duration.
- Boss fights that take 5 hours, and only start at midnight.
- Only 1 of each type of magic item. eg. Even the +1 sword is unquie.
(Bonus points to you if you noticed that drooling face-rollers and salivating hardcores look very very similar; its all just perspective)