After offering a bounty on Topper, I thought it only normal to see if I could do the kill myself. After all, I can save paying 25g/100g.
Topper is only a level 1 human, so he should be a quick kill, but being in a major city means he is very well protected. The Gnomish Poultryizer and other various fun toys are not usable on “green” NPCs, so all my ideas for same faction killing seemed closed.
I’m sure Blizzard have ended the exploit of blood poisoning, and even the kills you can make with Mushrooms. So I need a Plan B.
Plan B: So I was left to consider a Horde toon. All those guards with massive aggro radius, and 17k health means that any Horde faction toon I create was going to get put down very quickly.
Thus I created a Horde Rogue called Erosion, and hoped that repeat corpse runs would get me next to Topper.
The thing about this strategy, and erosion in general was that it will take a very long time, but get there in the end. I kind of knew that when I named the Rogue. It seemed to fit.
- gain a few levels, so that Level 1 vs Erosion would actually win. I figured level 3 was enough.
- run to Undercity from the Undead starting area.
- jump the Zeppelin to Ogrimar, then onto Grom Grol base camp in Stranglethorn
- swim up the western coast into the new Stormwind Harbour
- run, die, res, [repeat x??] my way to Topper
- wait till the guards and other players didn’t hang around…
- then kill him.
It was going well till I reached step 5. Then oh dear.
I had to wait for a boat to pass, and you can see in the picture that I’m hovering in the water, flagged for pvp (as I’m in a hostile city), and thinking about how long this takes.
The first run toward the guards was ok. I hit stealth (which was a mistake), then swap for the shore. The guards on the dock say my scrawny undead ass from a mile off, and started running. This is where I dropped stealth and tried to swim as fast as I could.
The problem is that while I’m swimming toward my final goal, I’m also swimming straight at the inbound guards. 17k HP guards who 1-shot level 3 Rogues. It ended quickly. What makes it funny now is that each res has to be within 35 yards of the corpse, which is miles inside the guards aggro radius.
So at 1000 yards to go, and only 35 yards per death, and 3.5 minutes for each corpse run; thats 1 hour, 66 minutes of corpse runs.
- Death #1 – in the water, just 10 yards from the dock.
- Death #2 – got onto the dock!
- Decided to enter via the Front gate, and took a Spirit Res, then ran again from the Eastvale logging camp. I think its closer.
- Death #3 & 4 were in the process of running though the forest
- Death #5, 6, 7 was getting along the initial walkway in Stormwind
- Death #8 & 9 were getting into the AH area
- Death #10 saw me eat pavement in front of Topper himself. So close now…
- Death #11 was Erosion killing Topper McNabb! Woot.
- Death #12 was only a second later, and was the guards once again face smashing Erosion. I don’t care, I’ve killed Topper.
So yes, Erosion can kill Topper, eventually.