Looking about for Ret builds there are many options. So in keeping with experimentation, I’ll throw my hat into the ring. The usual warning about trusting the Internet should apply here too.
Go read the abilities and make up your own mind. I’m sure that during play we’ll find an optimal mix, or not have realised some micro affect.
Here is a Ret build for a level 70 [0/6/55]. And why…
Edit: As 3.1 is fast approaching, consider this spec out of date. I’m sure the basics will be ok, but I’m not claiming this is accurate anymore.
Holy = 0 pts
– Snuff said, nothing in the early tree that is as good as other items in Ret or Prot.
Prot = 6 pts
– I like Blessing of Kings  so much that I think its a must have.
– Divine Strength’s  increase is a huge win for Ret.
Ret = 55 pts
-Deflection gets  as you’re a plate wearing damage machine. Expect to get hurt and don’t whine about parry.
– Benediction  because so many of the powers later in the tree are Instant. This will help with long fights, or when you are looking to chain pull, or pull by mistake.
– Improved Might  because more AP is happiness.
– Heart of the Crusader  as the buff helps your party kill as well.
– no points in Improved Judgements  as yet, as I wanted the points for deeper powers. This could be the first real mistake, but I’ll wait and see.
– Vindication  as this debuff is not as good as points else where, but something to maybe come back to; especially when considering that the later abilities may allow this to affect multiple targets. I don’t trust anything that says “a chance” without qualifying it. I have a chance to win at the casino, but it still feels like idiot tax to me.
– Conviction  increases crit potential for spells and hits. Must have.
– Seal of Command , if you dont have this, you’re not Ret.
– Persuit of Justice  looks like a PvP ability, so pass.
– Eye for an Eye  as its a way to return the pain to the mob that hit you, and 20% is much better than the crappy 1/2/3% or 2/3/6% to undead offered by Crusade. Mobs will hit you, and will crit you, especially while soloing, but doing an extra 1-3% on damage is fishy.
– Sanctified Seals  is habdy as it stops the Seals being removed, and also adds to your Crit across the board.
– Crusade , see Eye for an Eye above. At this level the 5 pts can be spent elsewhere.
– 2H Weapon Spec  is key as you’ll be swinging a 2H weapon, and 6% on every attack is significant, especially when there are not as many things to purchase at this tier.
– Sanctified Ret  increases the damage by everyone who is affected by the Ret aura by 2%. Handy but not mandatory for a level 70.
– Divine Purpose  reduces the chance you’ll get hit by range spells and range weapons. Hmm, this also looks to be PvP, so I’m thinking here is where you could flip some points around to suit.
And for the rest of the Ret tree, fill it up! All the end abilities look great to me for killing mobs. Except that you’ll be a point shy of max in Sheath of Light.
(a) If you solo and won’t group much, then consider dropping Divine Storm, and adding the point to Sheath of Light. Why? For single mobs its just another strike, and the healing will be unnoticeable when solo. And the extra 10% of your AP converted to spell power will make a difference on every damage cast.
(b) Skip Kings in the Prot tree. That gives back 1 pt. I like kings for groups, when you might have a mix of folks and the Kings buff is handy. However given that you might have a Prot pally in there, they’ll have Kings covered.
(c) Improved judgements may prove to be vital, but I don’t know yet. If that will increase the dps significantly, then its worth taking points from elsewhere.