Why can all races be DeathKnights? I respect that making it this way keeps the choice open to everyone, and will cut off any suggestion of a racial bias. My litmus test for the choices below was to consider if the race already has string Lore about being torn between good or evil, or if a fall from grace would be a great story hook.
You’d also have to consider that the Death Knights must have some sort of requirements to get trained. I know anyone can be evil, but sheesh; some folks just don’t look the part.
How much more evil would a Gnome need to be to get actually taken seriously? Somebody will call their Gnome DK “Mini-Me”, and far far worse. A good RP movie would be a gnome trying to get accepted.
On my “no” list is Night Elves (they have their dark side in Blood Elves), Gnomes (just can’t figure them being corrupted evil doers). Tauren and Trolls could be suitable, but I can’t see much lore in either way to sway one way or the other. We’ve seen evil trolls all through the game already without a gothic feel, in fact everything Trolls do in game tends toward the tribal feel. Tauren males look very sinister, but there is still little in teh way of lore about their coruption, evil acts, or general disgruntlement.
Keeping it to 3 races for each side of the war keeps it simple (artwork, character models, gear, etc). But I’m happy that everyone will have the opportunity to create what they like; that’s nice too. Hugs.
My list would be:
- Human (A) – They are as corrupt and holy as we all are, it makes sense.
- Dwarf (A) – The dark iron dwarfs are already in game as evil folks, and the dwarfs have a code
- Draenei (A) – A fall from grace for these guys is a serious path. Lots of potential there.
- Blood Elf (H) – Very suitable. Hungering for magic is one thing, and the Death Knight is another logical step on the same path.
- Orc (H) – Very suitable due to the previous corruption by Warlocks in the past.
- Undead (H) – Perfect. Unholy, undead, and unstoppable!