Via a shared topic we were all asked why we chose the class we love?
Um, I can’t choose. I’m an alt-a-holic. But I can explain why each class appeals.
My top 3 classes
The top 3 are basically the ones I have at the highest levels. And thats mainly due to those are teh ones that I’ve spend the most time on. For me part of the immersion is the time spent.
- Some of the best flavour in the game. Mounts, special quests, and a raft of non-wow lore to build from.
- Hybrid means that even if one tree gets nurfed back to the dark ages, there are a few more roles I can do. Hybrids are very powerful for that reason.
- Tanking AoE is the most fun you can have wearing plate. I’d say it was the most fun you can have period, but a Warlock’s Seed of Corruption is totally incredible if you have a paladin tanking. If I could have one message to deliever to the Devs about Pally Tanking: Please keep AoE tanking for Pallys.
- Almost unkillable if played correctly.
- Offers great buffs to the group.
- Plate wearing healers are much tougher than all others. That means that when something aggros to you, you’re not totally smashed in the first hit.
- some of the best flavour in the game. Mounts, special quests, etc.
- pets used to be awesome and the best in the game. I think the Hunter pets in Wrath will make Warlock pets secondary.
- an outstanding damage class.
- a great set of odd abilities that add real facility to the raids (banish, enslave, drain life, seed of corruption).
- More special quests, flight form (got it a few days ago, its incredible – Can I haz flavour?).
- Hybrid means diversity. Diversity is good., see Paladin above.
- Feral is DPS and Tank at the same time! Um, I say this makes Druids almost broken when compared to other hybrid classes, but its is also wonderful.
- Having HoTs means that you can stack heals then shift back into another form and continue to kill. The HoTs are powerful and directly useful.
- Sprint to get out of trouble, and stuns to stop mobs casting.
So I don’t know.
An interesting question would be if I had my time again, what would I play? Or if a new expansion was released (say called WotLK) what would you choose to level?
Um, at this stage still a Warlock, but that depends on how they resolve the Paladin, and if Druids get more buffs than nerfs. So the jury is still out. All I know about the beta is that Hunters are getting significant love, paladins have had the “spirit” of the class declared, but anything else is still in flux.
Pfffft – that means Alpha-Pally rather than Paladins that have had serious time in a solid build for a long period in Beta.
So Warlock for now.
The Runners Up
Then there are these classes that I like and have tried, but not taken far. In most cases this is because of time and also that what they bring to the game is covered by one of the three above.
- Bubble, burst heal, Hots are currently very good.
- Shadowform is great mechanically, and also looks fantastic! Its eye candy for all those guys who like a toon to have a consistent appearance.
- Stamina buff is something that everybody loves. Handier that Warlock stones.
- Shackle and Mind Control.
- Very hard to kill due to how many “get out of trouble” abilities they have.
- Great dps, and some good utility for runs.
- Funny pet class, that I seem to encounter over and over played badly. Which tells me two things: (a) its a popular class that is easy to solo, and (b) its hard to do very well.
I’d like to say that low attention span players should avoid Hunters, but I really want them to avoid Warcraft altogether. If you are a bad Hunter go learn what BRK has to say, or re-roll in a Hello Kitty MMO.